I am constantly researching things to do to keep my health at optimal levels, looking for things to incorporate into my diet to aid in weight loss, things that will help me stay full between meals.
In my recent reseach, I’ve come across Chia Seeds. Chia Seeds, you ask? Like the ones that go one the Chia pet that was so popular about 20 years ago? Yes…the same kind of thing. Except these you can eat!
Chia seeds are tiny little black seeds that are from the mint family. They are tiny but JAM packed with nutrients!
- chia seeds are a complete protein as they contain all 8 essential amino acids
- they are very high in dietary fiber…so great for digestion (but make sure you up your water intake when eating them)
- chia seeds are gluten free!
- Chia has 8 times more Omega 3 than Salmon, and they contain 20% Omega 3 ALA…so they are heart healty!
- Chia Seeds contain more Calcium that milk, in proportion to thier tiny size
- they have 3 times more iron than spinach
- they are highin Vitamin C
- chia Seeds are high in Magnesium & potassium
- Chia Seeds, when consumed, have a very positive effect on balancing blood sugar levels, so great for diabetics, but also aid in not crashing from hunger
Consuming Chia Seeds can be as simple as putting 1tbsp in water after breakfast to keep you full and help stave off hunger pangs before your morning coffee break. But, you can also use Chia Seeds in many different ways since they are virtually flavourless.
Add them to oatmeal, muffins, protein shakes, puddings, quinoa, just about anything really!
How do Chia seeds keep you full? Well in addition to their high fiber content, When soaked in water Chia Seeds develop a jelly like coating kind of resembles tapioca pearls. This beautiful trait of the Chia Seeds is what keeps you belly full, and help to fight off hunger between meals!!
Pretty cool, eh? I was amazed when was doing my research and read about what they do. I went out last night and bought a container from the health food store and tried them for the first time this morning. I added a tablespoon in my protein shake, and honestly, I made it to my morning coffee break (which I ended up taking late b/c I actually forgot about it) I was that full that I actually FORGOT about my morning coffee break!!!! This thing is amazing! I am going to try it in a muffin recipe tonight!! can’t wait!
Below is a picture of what chia seeds look like raw and unsoaked: